Feels like home

     Below are a few photos I gathered of my little bitty hometown; Randleman. I've come to miss the place lately and remember such vivid memories; both good and bad in this town. While I dealt with some of the most intense bullying a child could have been offered; I also found parts of myself growing up that I never knew I could. I found out how to face adversity; to stamp your mark on the world; and to enjoy who you are because who you are is beautiful and no one should have power over that beauty but you. 
In Randleman, being gay was tough. I was amongst one of the very very nil amount of kids who were at the time and I, amongst a lesbian at my local high school; was the only openly gay student within my school. The guy I felt for and secretly dated was in the closet until I moved away. I moved away in March of 2004-2005 just as I was beginning to find myself; to establish my place in the town; and to stand up for my rights as a student and as a person. I was so upset leaving; it's like I felt a piece of me die that day that I packed my final bags and began my journey to calling another place; home. I didn't want to go but I did it for the sake of my father finding love. Love that would later prove to be harmful and damaging in my own love life.

Still I leave these moments I have now as tokens behind the rest of my story...coming from a small hick town full of about less than 8,000 people at the time and dream of my childhood days when I had found inner strength to beat the odds; when I was a carefree and happy soul just awaiting those holidays that I could celebrate and enjoy with my friends and family. I didn't meet harsh people or cry over broken promises; I would smile, walk on, and keep my spirit on top of the clouds. Though I had my addictions and problems here; I grew here. I learned and loved, I found and lost, and I began and finished here. You can't change any of that no matter how far you travel. You can't erase your roots because your roots are your crucial points.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chime Card: No Support For Android Pay (UPDATED)

Life Update {Apartment life + roommate}